Greeley firefighters responded at 4:53 a.m. Wednesday to the Sushi One restaurant at 3820 10th St., directly across the courtyard from The Egg & I restaurant in the Market Square strip mall, on a report of heavy smoke. Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading toward other businesses in the strip mall, but the overnight fire  caused an estimated $250,000 in damage to Sushi One. 

It’s the second time in the restaurant’s seven years that owner Tae Suh has had to close the doors. Three years ago, he had to shut the doors for three months due to some water damage. This time, he hopes to rebuild as soon as possible, but it could take months.

Fire crews entered the burning restaurant by the restaurant entrance and the adjoining Edward Jones office next door, breaking a glass door to gain entry. While the fire didn’t spread, smoke traveled through the vents, dumping soot into the Edward Jones business, as well as the Slimgenics business to the east of that.

Dale Lyman, spokesman for the Greeley Fire Department, said the fire was started when crews threw a make-shift splash guard made out of cardboard and covered in aluminum foil, into the garbage. “They had it close to the stove,” Lyman said. “That splash guard was thrown away, and the cardboard was smoldering, and they didn’t realize it,” Lyman said.

No injuries were reported.