Fort Collins MLK Day March and Celebration Set for Monday
Several events have been planned on the CSU campus and in Fort Collins for Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, January 15.
The annual march at 11 a.m. from Old Town Square to the doors of the Lory Student Center’s Main Ballrooms will conclude with a musical performance. That will be followed by remarks from keynote speaker Rev. Jamie Washington, president of Washington Consulting Group, president and co-founder of the Social Justice Training Institute, and vice president of the American College Personnel Association.
Schedule of Events
- 9 – 10:30 - Community Service Project (Lory Student Center)
- 10:30 – 11:00 - Transportation to Old Town for those who took part in the Community Service Project
- 11:00 – noon MLK Charge and March (Old Town)
- Noon – 1:00 Keynote/Entertainment (LSC Ballrooms)
- 1:00 – 2:00 Community Dialogues including Community Service Project continuation (throughout LSC)*
- 2:00 – 2:30 Closing
*refreshments will be provided for those who will be engaging in community dialogues
Opportunities to Donate
In partnership with Homeless Gear, there will be a couple of opportunities to take part in community service (before and after the march). To “Rise Up and Take Action” before January 15, consider donating the items listed below. The main drop-off location is the LSC Information desk (open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. through January 14 or you can bring items on the 15th.
TRIAL SIZE (preferably, but all donations accepted)
- Disposable razors
- Shaving cream
- Individual size and prepackaged, non-perishable snacks