Are you ready for some football ? And a bunch of very creative ads?
The Superbowl is where companies invest millions on their new advertising campaigns. This year will be no different.
Remember CareerBuilder’s primates? Cindy Crawford guzzling from a new Pepsi can? The Bud Bowl? Or two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun? Adweek reflects on these commercials and others in a 12-page retrospective of memorable Super Bowl ads, both funny and sentimental, beginning with the first pro game in 1967. Adweek’s 44-year timeline revisits Super Bowl ad moments that captured America’s mood, economy, and pop culture of the time:
- Super Bowl VII’s pre-game tribute to Apollo 17, the sixth and last mission to land on the moon to date (Dolphins 14, Redskins 7)
- The introduction of Apple’s Macintosh during Super Bowl XVIII (Raiders 38, Redskins 9)
- “The Dot-Com Super Bowl” XXXIV featuring ads from 17 dot-com advertisers (Rams 23, Titans 16)
- The Budweiser Clydesdales’ bow in front of the New York skyline four months after 9/11 (Patriots 20, Rams 17)
- This year, Mercedes-Benz arrives to the event’s commercial breaks for the first time.
For those who tune in to the Super Bowl because of the commercials, expectations grow every year. Adweek’s timeline documents the networks that have televised the big game each year, the overall rating (Super Bowl XVI being the highest rated with a 49.1), total viewership and the final score. Check it out at http://www.adweek.com.